It’s time for a new mission here at Dear Geek Place – and this one’s a doozy, but it’s also definitely a long-term goal. And it should help me clear a big chunk of my bookish backlog! Sounds awesome, right?
Welcome to the Great Series Read.
To clarify: This is not my own brainchild! I am merely hopping on the bandwagon built by fellow blogger and veteran Wyrd and Wonder/Sci-Fi Month adventurer, Caitlin at Realms of My Mind. You can find more details about the project over on her blog.
Basically this is a fun way to get tidying up the Read Pile of one’s book collection. I have a terrible habit of starting to read a series and then getting distracted by new shiny things, or of buying the first book in a series and forgetting about it for however long it’s on my shelf. There are so many of those, as it turns out. I went through my TBR with a pen and a notepad and now I feel like I owe all of the authors of the following books/series an apology.
In other words, here’s (the beginning of) my reading list for The Great Series Read Project!
- Nevernight Chronicle – Jay Kristoff
- The Illuminae Files – Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff
- The Rain Wild Chronicles – Robin Hobb
- Mythago Wood/Lavondyss – Robert Holdstock
- The Burned Man Novels – Peter McLean
- Night’s Masque – Anne Lyle
- The Stormlight Archive – Brandon Sanderson
- Mistborn – Brandon Sanderson
- Crown of Stars – Kate Elliott
- Obsidian and Blood – Aliette de Bodard
- Dominion of the Fallen – Aliette de Bodard
- Planetfall series – Emma Newman
- The Murderbot Diaries – Martha Wells
- The Sixth World – Rebecca Roanhorse
- The Wormwood Trilogy – Tade Thompson
- Indexing – Seanan McGuire
- Gods of New Asgard – Tessa Gratton
- The Queens of Innis Lear – Tessa Gratton
- The Fey and the Fallen – Stina Leicht
- Spellslinger – Sebastien de Castell
- The Invisible Library – Genevieve Cogman
- The Craft Sequence – Max Gladstone
- Six of Crows Duology/Grishaverse – Leigh Bardugo
With bonus mentions for a few serials I have gathering digital dust:
- The Witch Who Came In From The Cold
- The Vela
- The Woman In White
So. The idea according to Caitlin is to pick an unfinished/unread series and read one book a month within that series, back to back, until you’ve completed it and can move on to the next series.
My plan, at least at the moment, is to get cracking now since we’ve just entered March and there’s no time like the present, right? So I’ll be picking a series to start with and announcing my kick-off on Twitter, using the hashtag #GreatSeriesRead. Because hashtags are fun.
My thanks to Caitlin for coming up with this idea, and here’s hoping (and praying) I can stick to my guns! Wish me luck.